Thursday, October 9, 2008

"Jazzing Up" Your Blog

In Tuesday's post, I talked about two things to help you with job seeking in the tough economy: having a career portfolio and maintaining a professional social networking site. A blog is one way to accomplish both of these tips. A number of artists - famous and obscure - have blogs that also act as a career portfolio highlighting their work. "Techies" also have blogs giving tips and techniques on various topics. One of the reasons why I have a blog, other than having a tool for providing supplemental information to my students, was to have something for my career portfolio.

When I was looking for some tips to add some functionality to my blog (particularly add a button indicating whether I'm "online" on Yahoo! Messenger), I stumbled upon another blog - Daily Technology Tips, authored and maintained by Sunil Kumar Gupta. I was really impressed with the information that was available on this blog. He has a boatload of information and tips on tools that one can add on one's blog to "jazz it up", as well as other tips that one wouldn't think of with their blog. For example, in his August 17th posting, he talks about protecting your blog from being copied using Google.

If you are thinking of starting a blog, or if you already have a blog, take the time to go to Sunil's blog and see if there is anything that you can use on your own site.

P.S. - I put his blog under the "Links" section of this blog.

No comments: